[TxMt] using rsync to enable the project drawer while working on a remote server

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Sun Apr 16 02:20:09 UTC 2006

 From the blog:

"Textmate only allows one to use the project drawer if you’re working
on a project. Otherwise, there’s no ability to use a drawer or tabs
and you’re back to regular multi-window text editing—which stinks.
Most people run into this issue while editing files live on a server
via sFTP or FTP with Transmit or some other client."

Actually, I've run into this issue plenty of times when working with
the *local* filesystem. I bet everyone's experienced this at some
point: You end up with lots of files open that don't belong to any
particular project, so you have this extra-long Window menu and can't
easily jump between open files like you can with project files. It
would be nice if TextMate had some kind of "anonymous project" window
-- that is, a pseudo-project that looks and acts like a regular
project, but instead of representing a folder or specific set of
files, it would represent all the open files that don't belong to any
project. You know, like BBEdit's file drawer.

"Actually, there are three ways. If Mac OS X could mount a remote
sFTP connection one could easily accomplish our goal. It does not. It
mounts FTP connections, but they are read-only—so again no go."

However, as has also been pointed out on the list, OS X can mount
remote directories via WebDAV, AFS, and NFS. That way, you can create
projects on the remote server directly, just as you would on local
filesystems. I prefer this solution whenever possible because it's so
simple and doesn't need rsync or other special commands.

Trevor