[TxMt] MultiMarkdown in TextMate

Brad Miller bonelake at mac.com
Mon Apr 10 20:29:34 UTC 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Dr. Drang wrote:

> TeXdown looks interesting, but it has two characteristics that I
> want to avoid:
>
> 1. It creates HTML only.
> 2. It uses uses image files for the equations, which do not scale.
>
> MultiMarkdown eliminates the first by allowing an XSLT
> transformation to LaTeX (MultiMarkdown.pl doesn't do this, but the
> MultiMarkdown system does). My additions to MultiMarkdown create
> <math> tags that can be processed in one of two ways:
>
> 1. Into LaTeX through the XSL files.
> 2. Into reasonably good-looking web pages through [jsMath][1].

I agree that the output of jsMath is amazing, and I like it better
than the inserted image.  Getting all the javascript bits in the
right place is the only catch I guess.

To stay with the Multimarkdown philosophy of converting to xhtml and
then using style sheets to go to other formats it seems that a script
in the same vein as TeXdown would be pretty simple.
   1. Detect that we are doing math either through $$ or `% or
whatever mechanism.
   2. wrap the math in a <math> tag
   3.  Write xsl transformations.
	For html + jsMath:   insert all the <script> tags at the beginning
of the template and Just keep the <math> tag around the math
	for LaTeX:   you just get rid of the <math> tag and insert the math
with $ around it.
         for direct to pdf, I don't think the current solution of
htmldoc works.
         for rtf I have no idea....

Brad