[TxMt] merging UUIDs

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Apr 9 13:51:47 UTC 2006

On 9/4/2006, at 7:45, Quinn Comendant wrote:

> [...]
> Are you implying that using svn to merge updates is NOT recommended?

For people who know what they are doing, I am not discouraging it.

The advantage of /Library is that one can rm -rf /Library/… w/o
hesitation (believe me, this has been the answer to _many_ support
questions) and that one will never get a svn merge conflict (which
many users are not able to handle).

The advance of ~/Library is having svn be able to merge differences
better than TM does. E.g. change a key equivalent in a bundle item,
and svn still merges the customized version with changes done to the
file. But it may lead to merge conflicts, so one should be prepared
to handle these!

People who contribute to the svn repository will likely want at least
the bundle they are maintaining (or submitting patches for) in ~/
Library.

So it boils down to using ~/Library has an advantage in getting svn’s
merge, but with that comes potential problems, where /Library is 100%
hassle free (but you lose the svn merge).

> Surely TM will someday have functionality to ease merging built in.
> Any
> hints you can give to keep us from wandering down a path of
> deprecation?

The thing I have in mind is to let the bundle editor indicate when a
customized version has a default version updated after the user
modified it (and then allow the user to see the difference/revert to
the default) -- I may also store only the modified properties of the
bundle item in ~/Library (a property being either name, tab trigger,
scope selector, actual content, input/output/save option for
comments, etc.), which will cause only that property to override the
default, rather than all properties of the bundle item.

As for “wandering down a path of deprecation”, I do not have any
plans of changing the disk layout. There are users both with and
without svn checkouts in /Library or ~/Library, and I don’t foresee
any potential deprecation here.