[TxMt] Managing change in default bundles

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Tue Apr 4 09:36:07 UTC 2006

I like how TextMate seamlessly merges user bundles with the default
bundles. I can add new snippets, for example, and they'll be stored
(transparently) in my ~/Library folder, so that when I upgrade to a
new version of TextMate, my custom snippets won't get blown away.

This works great for adding things to the default bundles, but what
about changing them? I know any changes I make to a default bundle
will override the original, but that works well only until the next
TextMate release comes out. Consider the release notes from the
recent update:

    "Lots and lots of changes, fixes, and additions to the bundles."

That means wherever I've made a change to a bundle, even small
tweaks, I'll be losing all these bug fixes and enhancements that have
been made in the new version. For this reason, I've been avoiding
making any changes to the default bundles, but of course this
prevents me from tweaking the bundles to suit my particular needs and
workflow.

I'm wondering how other TextMate users handle this problem. Do people
track the bundle repository, merging upstream changes (and fixing
conflicts) as they occur? Or is it more common simply to avoid making
any changes at all, as I've been doing (reluctantly)?

Trevor