[TxMt] Remote filesystems (was: Remote projects)

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Fri Sep 23 21:19:23 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, at 3:28 PM, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Gerd Knops wrote:
>>
>> [5] http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1242.html
>>

> Erm, I'd like to point out that, as [5] mentions, in Tiger VFS's
> are now fairly well insulated from Kernel changes, and if I
> remember WWDC correctly, the Kernel changes in 10.4 should make
> things like VFS's a lot more forward-compatible. So it really isn't
> so much the moving target anymore.

True, and a kernel-level interface to something like Fuse would be
the more efficient and elegant solution. Though considering their
comments about stacking VFS plug-ins in that same document shows that
they do tend to change their minds. Also binary compatibility for
kexts between OS releases is very hard to maintain, and the fact
remains that documentation is poor and kernel-level development is
quite the black magic. NFS on the other hand is pretty well
understood and they will think twice about dropping NFS support. But
all this is philosophical until someone actually sits down and does
something about this...

Gerd