[TxMt] POLL: Request a Theme!

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Mon Sep 12 00:53:28 UTC 2005

Quick brain dump on themes:

1. Some random theme ideas. I don't have time to work on these at the
moment; feel free to steal them.

  - Imperfect: WordPerfect DOS (bright white text on a blue (#0000FF)
background -- use with imitation DOS font for best effect)
  - God Save Brand X: Standard BBEdit colors
  - Merchandise No. 5: Coca-Cola colors (white on red -- really bad
for the eyes, I suspect)

2. Observation: preprocessor highlighting (heavily used with C/C++/
ObjC) is missing from most of the themes that I haven't touched.

3. I prefer a solid white background, but this is likely because I
started programming on the Mac rather than on a dumb terminal or DOS.
I sometimes use the dark themes, mainly to admire the artistry of the
color selection. Also, I try to test syntax modifications with all
the themes.

4. SaintEdit had a unique feature I haven't seen anywhere else. It
had two coordinated built-in themes, one light and one dark. You
could set it to automatically use the dark theme at night and switch
to the light theme during the day.

5. Dark theme authors: why are all of your comment colors dark gray
on black? Do you not wish to read comments? Are your monitors broken,
or what? How disturbing. </king-of-all-cosmos>

6. TextMate might benefit from grouping themes into categories:
"Light", "Dark", "Retro", "Beverages/Foodstuffs"...

7. I like your mint theme. (But see item 5 above.)

Chris