[TxMt] 1.1b17: tab switching really slow?

Graeme Mathieson mathie at woss.name
Tue Sep 6 08:59:41 UTC 2005

On 5 Sep 2005, at 20:13, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> I like the idea with the delay, and it's what the system does for
> keyboard controlled tabs (iirc),

If you do lazy font locking, it's also how (x)emacs does it.  I don't
know the details, but I think it works by only fully parsing and
rendering the visible part of the page, pushing the rest back into a
hook in the idle loop.  I guess at least you could only process the
file up until the point where it's no longer visible (I don't see how
to get the full context, if you don't always begin at the top of the
file, but perhaps that's not actually necessary) and push the rest of
the parse out to an idle loop?  Or something entirely unlike that? :)

> OTOH it may also just add further delay when one wants to move only
> a single tab.

Which is probably the most common use case?  Certainly for those of
us who rearrange the tabs to make that the most common use case. :)
--
Mail: mathie at woss.name | Web: http://woss.name/
AIM:  Math1e           | PGP: 1024D/D72F2737