[TxMt] Chunked undo, Language, overall slowness

Steve Weintraub steve at dalahus.com
Mon Sep 5 11:44:05 UTC 2005

>> As a new user to TextMate (and having been in involved in number
>> of development projects), I can't help but bring the baggage of
>> being used to certain performance, behaviors and expectations from
>> a Mac application, so please forgive if I come off a bit frustrated.
>>

> I was pretty frustrated myself when I switched to OS X (over the
> general sluggishness), and I'm a tad irritated by the many hoops I
> have to go through, to get decent performance on low-end system
> (which seems to be most below a 2.5 GHz G5 with AGPx8 ;) ).
>
> But OTOH I've also changed my view on these things, make it work,
> then make it fast, I think that's what Apple does, and it's a
> philosophy I've adopted myself -- TM is far more dynamic than any
> other text editor, and makes much more use of “declarative” rules
> than code/plugins, and I think that adds tremendous value, despite
> the overhead these things bring.

Fair enough, but first impressions count for a lot, so I think you
want to be careful about *what* you make work first, at the cost of
performance :)

In my first post in this thread I asked about command behaviors being
tied to languages, not filenames. Could you let me know if my
analysis here is accurate, or I'm missing something that would make
this work?

Steve