[TxMt] Shift Line problems

Shawn Van Ittersum shawn at vantech.com
Mon Oct 31 21:51:06 UTC 2005

Thank you, Allan, for the detailed instructions on assigning Indent Line to the tab key.

While we're on the topic of line indentation:

1. If you place the cursor at the end of a line and Shift Left, the cursor ends up at the start of the next line.  This makes it very difficult to Shift Left more than once on the same line from the end of the line (which is a natural place to do it, after typing a semicolon).

2. When shifting left or right with the cursor at the start or middle of a line, the cursor position does not stay between the same characters after the shift; instead, its position stays constant relative to the start of the line.  For example:

  for i in array {
  object.method_call(| <--cursor  ...oops I need to shift right...
      object.method_c|all(

   The cursor should stay with the context it had before the shift.  Keeping the absolute column position has the potential of shifting the cursor out of one scope into another.  But more importantly, it's just plain disorienting to have the cursor move around relative to the text I was just typing.  In the example above, I had paused before adding a method argument, and now if I continue to type the argument, I'm not in the right place anymore.

I noticed that when using the Indent Line command, the cursor position is correctly preserved relative to the text on the line.  The same behavior should be used when shifting left and right.

Shawn