[TxMt] Automatic download issue.

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Oct 21 15:04:33 UTC 2005

On 21/10/2005, at 16.46, Robert M. Zigweid wrote:

> [CHANGED] When a new version is available, TextMate will download
> it automatically (w/o first asking the user), though showing
> progress underway which can be cancelled.
>
> I have to say..UGH here.  Can we get this turned into an option?
> I'm usually the type that prefers to initiate my downloads rather
> than having them done for me, for a variety of reasons, some
> security, some due to available bandwidth at the time, etc.

What security problems would there be? It's basically doing exactly
the same as the actual version check, download a file from the
server, this one is just bigger -- if this is a security concern, you
may want to disable version checks altogether :)

Available bandwidth: you can cancel the download when it starts. I
could make that into a pause/resume. But maybe try it for a few
versions and see if you ever actually get the download and it spoils
something by consuming bandwidth.

I think this is one of those cases where on paper it sounds like
maybe not the best thing to do because of presumed privacy issues or
similar, but in real-life it's just a handy time-saver.