[TxMt] first impressions

Trevor Turk trevorturk at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 20:09:40 UTC 2005

Kevin, thanks for the reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear,
but a lot of that was just notes. I hope that they
could be indicative of many users first few questions.
I noticed that there isn't too much documentation, so
I started collecting notes as a learned, in the hopes
that it might be useful for any documentation later.

> > make it so that you can always show the file
> browsing drawer
>
> You mean the drawer you get in a project? In
> TextMate 1.1 that only
> applies to projects - other files are just single
> Anyhow, the project interface is going to be re-done
> in TextMate 1.2,
> and I believe the single-window-per-file paradigm is
> going to be
> dropped, so it should do what you want then.
>
> > allow a "single window" interface where new files

Sounds like it might be moving toward what I'm looking
for. Basically, I like it when programs stay in one
window. I think that "project" part of the "project
drawer" is great, but it forces me to make projects
when I really just want to use a single window.
Perhaps you could have a "scratch project folder" type
of thing, where if you chose to have a single window
interface, new files would be opened in a ~Temp folder
in the project drawer... I'm just trying to think of
how a single window interface might be possible -
because I like the keep the number of windows open to
a minimum.

> > option to make file browsing drawer on the right
>
> The project drawer isn't locked to the left side of
> the window, it's
> just a Cocoa drawer with no preference. This means
> if there isn't
> room on the left, it will open on the right (and

Thanks! Adding to my notes...

> This appears to be notes on how snippets work. Is
> there any actual
> feedback associated with this?

No, I was just noting how things worked because it
took me a while to figure it out.

Thanks again,
- Trevor