[TxMt] feature request: Narrow Project Tree To...

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Oct 19 22:25:01 UTC 2005

On 19/10/2005, at 23.52, Niels wrote:

>>> [...] State of each window will be kept as FS metadata, and the
>>> entire state (which windows are open, pointing to what folders
>>> etc.) are kept as the “workspace”.
>> How will that work with files that are hosted on remote file
>> systems that might be poorer with respect to file meta data?
> i expect you might see some .filename files. small price to pay if
> you ask me for the ability to have nice, convenient metadata in files.

Yes, the meta data is stored in a ._«filename» file, which is in
AppleDouble format, and already used by Finder to store e.g. label
colors and such (starting with Tiger, I think), and handled
transparently by Finder, cp, tar, zip etc. when moving files between
HFS+ and less capable (wrt extended attributes) file systems.

>> I really appreciate the ability to have a project file that is
>> seperate from the files themselves, as all my files are actually
>> hosted on a windows box.

TextMate already store bookmarks, caret position, and folding states
as file meta data — it makes the most sense to keep this with the
file, especially when handle transparently by the OS.