[TxMt] Tabbed Interface Observations

Eric Knapp ejknapp at mac.com
Sat Oct 15 20:35:54 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion on the tabbed interface in project
windows. I have some issues that I would like to point out and I will
offer my opinions. However, I really just want to see what the TM
community thinks about these things.

When a project window has lots of open files and there is not enough
room to fit tabs across the top of the window a arrow appears next to
the tabs. When you click on the arrow you are given a list of those
files that do NOT have a tab. You can then click on one of those
files to bring it to the front. But, then the front file does not
show its tab. You can see what file you are working on by looking at
the title bar but I think this is confusing.

The interface is combining a list interface with a tabbed interface
and I think this could be improved. The first suggestion I have is to
have all open files in the list and always show the arrow. You could
have the files that have visible tabs be in bold. There are times
when I just don't see an open tab and click on the arrow only to also
not find the file there.

The next suggestion is to have the tabs scroll and always show the
currently forward file's tab. I don't mean to add a scroll bar, just
that the tabs could shift over when a file is selected from the arrow
list.

Does anyone else find that this behavior could be improved? Are there
other suggestions? Has this discussion already occurred? If so then
many apologies.

-Eric