Netiquette (was: [TxMt] Folding Request - Count Pairs)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Thu Oct 13 13:41:35 UTC 2005

On 12/10/2005, at 15.16, Gavin Kistner wrote:

> P.S. What's the netiquette/guideline regarding attaching screenshot
> images inline to an email message to a mailing list [...]

We've had lots of screen grabs in the past, and no complaints. So I
think these are generally welcome.

The only thing I'm trying to uphold (without much success) is that
people should NOT prefix their subjects with “feature request” or
similar (and the subjects should generally be to the point [1]).

The way I deal with email is, I have letters open in separate
windows, and if I need to reply to something (or take care of an
issue), I leave that window open, until I have done so (sometimes for
months :) ).

The Window menu is then my “outline” [2], and I'd love to not have to
re-read a letter to figure out what it's about, or see 3-5 letters in
a row with the same prefix, when they are actually from separate
threads. For example currently the menu has this entry: “Re: [TXMT]
Feature request/query — TM Users”.

I know that new people constantly join the list, and old people
forget about my monthly reminders, but please try to keep this in mind!

And just to be clear, this was in no way directed at you Gavin, just
found it time for my “monthly reminder” :)

[1] http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980906.html
[2] Here's a tip, if you work like me: hold down option with the
Window menu open, and Bring All to Front becomes Arrange in Front,
which neatly stacks all open windows — works for most Cocoa
applications.