[TxMt] start/endtag from previous word macro

Jason Bainbridge jbainbridge at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:59:08 UTC 2005

On 10/9/05, Kevin Ballard <kevin at sb.org> wrote:
>  From what I've heard, it's fine to server XHTML, but you really
> should server it as text/html rather than application/xml+xhtml. The
> reason is because if it's broken (i.e. non-validating), the browser
> still understands it as text/html but not as application/xml+xhtml.
> This is because Firefox and Safari (I don't know about others) uses a
> full-blown XML parser to read application/xml+xhtml files, but it
> uses a regular HTML parser to read text/html files, so any non-
> validating stuff will break completely as application/xml+xhtml but
> will work as text/html.
>
> So basically, XHTML is perfectly fine to use. Just don't use
> application/xml+xhtml as your MIME type unless you're 100% sure that
> your page validates, because if any part of it doesn't, the entire
> page will be rendered unreadable as the parser says "hey this isn't
> valid!"

It is with the application/xml+xhtml mime type that you have the
Javscript problems as well, plus with dynamic content like a blog it
is a real pain to keep everything validating as no matter how hard you
try you end up doing some silly mistake in a post and totally fsck'ng
up your site until you realize it.

Hence why I am not currently serving as application/xml+xhtml although
I did for a while using content negotation to serve it to the browsers
that could support it.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge