[TxMt] start/endtag from previous word macro

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Sun Oct 9 15:14:17 UTC 2005

 From what I've heard, it's fine to server XHTML, but you really
should server it as text/html rather than application/xml+xhtml. The
reason is because if it's broken (i.e. non-validating), the browser
still understands it as text/html but not as application/xml+xhtml.
This is because Firefox and Safari (I don't know about others) uses a
full-blown XML parser to read application/xml+xhtml files, but it
uses a regular HTML parser to read text/html files, so any non-
validating stuff will break completely as application/xml+xhtml but
will work as text/html.

So basically, XHTML is perfectly fine to use. Just don't use
application/xml+xhtml as your MIME type unless you're 100% sure that
your page validates, because if any part of it doesn't, the entire
page will be rendered unreadable as the parser says "hey this isn't
valid!"

--
Kevin Ballard
kevin at sb.org