[TxMt] tm update needed

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Oct 7 18:00:29 UTC 2005

On 06/10/2005, at 23.51, Gerd Knops wrote:

>>> [...] Are the TM guys thinking of an installer that creates the
>>> symlink for you?
>> Yes, just need to figure out what's best.
>> [...]
> Please do not hardcode it to ~/bin. If you want to introduce a
> unixy kind of hierarchy in the users directory, it should rather be
> ~/something/bin, because when you think about it you also want ~/
> something/man, ~/something/lib, ~/something/include, ~/something/
> etc and so on, and I would rather not have all those directories
> cluttering up my home directory.

I could show a popup with the (potential) destinations harvested by
doing something like this (of course adding Other… as last option):

    bash --login -c '{ tr <<<$PATH : \\n|grep "^$HOME.*/bin$"
      [[ -e /usr/local/bin ]] && echo /usr/local/bin
      [[ -e /opt/bin ]] && echo /opt/bin
      echo /usr/bin; }'

Probably double-checking the result (inserting separator) to avoid
users MOTD and similar (since I'll be running a login shell).

As for setting the name of the link (kevin), I think expert users
will just have to rename it themselves (and/or skip this “wizard”) --
the main point of the automation is really just to make the user
aware, that there's a bundled shell command.

> [...] when the next TM installer comes along it can find it.

Hopefully with the symbolic link, there won't be a next time :)