[TxMt] Feature request/query

Gerd Knops gerti at bitart.com
Sat Oct 1 16:21:13 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 1, at 9:26 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 01/10/2005, at 16.22, Andreas Wahlin wrote:
>

>> Is there a reason why command+t and shift+command+t don't work the
>> same way?
>>

> Shift-cmd-T was just a quick proof-of-concept (using the language
> grammars to capture symbols). It'll probably be more like cmd-T but
> move to the status bar (as a popup) -- it's one of the things on
> the 1.1 shortlist, but it's also one of those things I just really
> don't get why people need… ;)

I found that I rarely used the popup in XCode, and when I did it
reminded me that my class was getting too big.

However I found that a constant display a la CodeBrowser in jEdit is
much more helpful, especially when working through someone else's
code. Could we not have a list view/tree view in a drawer, or for
project windows make the project drawer into a split view and have
one half of it display the symbols?

However there is another facet to this: If folding would just be a
little enhanced so that the folded view is more compact (eg folds
could eat up empty lines etc), I have found (at least in jEdit) that
the folded view would let me navigate through code quickly. Of course
it helped that jEdit can be configured to unfold all folds inside a
fold when clicking on the fold marker.

So navigation would go like: Fold all, find method to go to, unfold
that method.

Gerd