[TxMt] Ditch the drawer

Christiaan Knol christiaan at structuraldeviations.com
Thu Nov 24 10:44:06 UTC 2005

On 24/11/2005, at 4:31 AM, Gerd Knops wrote:

> Be sure you understand how the "go to file menu" works. Typing a
> few letters of a file name (and those letters do not have to be
> consecutive) will get you to your file. Say you have
> 'MyImportantFile.txt" somewhere deep in your project. Cmd-T, MIF,
> Enter and you got the file!

Not sure how many web developers are here, but I've never been able
to grasp the Cmd-T feature, as most of my files are actually called
index.php with the actual preceding directory dictating the
location.  ie. /service/index.php /service/contact/index.php which
both translate simply in a site to /service/ and /service/contact/
for simplicity.

> When I know the name of a file, the "go to file menu" due to it's
> smart find feature is a lot faster than navigating through the
> drawer. But sometimes I don't remember the name of a file, but know
> it's location. In that case the drawer is the way to go.

Same here for 95% of my work - as the drawer is the only way to
locate files in my sites.  But I still find myself using skEdit
though I really want to use TextMate more and more.

skEdit to me has a nicer 'feel' to it, but TextMate has more and more
compelling features...

Christiaan