[TxMt] Automagically figuring out tab size?

Graeme Mathieson mathie at woss.name
Fri Nov 18 10:54:55 UTC 2005

On 16 Nov 2005, at 18:16, chris feldmann wrote:

> I hesitate to suggest this, but how about modlines ala emacs or vim?
> /* vim:set ts=4 sw=4 nowrap:  */

Yep, it would be nice to honour them too, since a number of the files
I edit (from when I used to use XEmacs) do have settings stashed away
like that.

But in the absence of any obvious clues like that, some heuristic to
figure it out (then maybe highlighting the tabs indicator in the
status bar in red or something?) would be really useful.

Then again, nothing could possibly guess the correct indentation for
the dodgy piece of HTML I'm editing just now, which has a mixture of
tabs, spaces (varying amounts of indentation at that!).  I suppose
that's what happens when you let the marketing folks near the web
site...!
--
Mail: mathie at woss.name | Web: http://woss.name/
AIM:  Math1e           | PGP: 1024D/D72F2737