[TxMt] Scopes of DOOM!

thomas Aylott thomas.42 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 18:58:10 UTC 2005

On Sep 26, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

>> 2: Selections carry the scope of the last character selected. [...]
>> I'm not sure if this one is really the wrong behavior or what. It
>> seems logical to pick up the scope of the last character selected.
>> I can't really think of any other way of handling that.
>
> I've had some “concerns” about this myself. I think in most
> situations when the entire scope of something is selected, the
> current scope should really not include what's exclusive for the
> selected text, since with a selection, we perform an operation _on_
> the selection, and that is done in the context of being “outside” it.
>
> For example if we select <?php … ?> in HTML and use Toggle Comment,
> we want it to be commented as HTML, not PHP.
>
> I am however also unsure how to “solve” it. One heuristic could be
> to look at the scope before and after the selection, and if these
> are identical, use that. So when we select something entirely, the
> scope excludes what's special for the stuff we selected. But if
> OTOH we select a partial string (or similar), the scope will
> include string.

Ok, this doesn't seem to be working out in real life.

i've got some html like this:
<b>text</b>
the scope for the 'text' when selecting the entire word is coming up
as 'declaration.tag.html'
also:
<tag attribute="Value" attribute="Value" attribute="Value" />
the scope for the ' attribute="Value"' in the middle when selecting
from the whitespace to the last quote is coming up as
'string.quoted.double'

we've solved 1 problem and created another. oi.

I don't know what the right logic should be.