[TxMt] Editing files via FTP

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 3 22:28:46 UTC 2005

On Nov 3, 2005, at 3:42 PM, Jonas Witt wrote:

> On 03.11.2005, at 22:29, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
> Cyberduck sometimes really annoys me. If I connect to a server,
> leave it alone long enough (6 minutes?), it auto-disconnects. At
> least TCP does it, I don't know if Cyberduck recognizes that. If I
> now try to close Cyberduck, it warns me about this 'open'
> connection. OK, I click disconnect. It connects again, probably to
> disconnect. But it doesn't disconnect. If I click disconnect again,
> it disconnects (maybe because now the connection was really open
> again). _Now_ I can close Cyberduck. Great.
>
> I don't know if Transmit does this too, but this is what I dislike
> about Cyberduck. And it just seems too big, takes too long to load
> for a simple (?) FTP client. It could really be slimmer, I think.
>
> But I like that Cyberduck has _no_ local browser. As Jason said, it
> does it the Mac way.
>
> Jonas

Thank you all for your comments. I guess I use Cyberduck in a
relatively light way. I just have folders I keep locally, and folders
on the server, so when I am about to start work on a project I ask
Cyberduck to synchronize the two folders, then I disconnect, then I
edit the local copy, and then I ask it to synchronize again. If on
the other hand I want to edit just one file, I double click on it.
But I've never had a connection time out. (using sftp)
So for my needs it has worked just fine, and it's free, and the
source code is available.
I can see though that someone using FTP heavily would have more
requirements.

Haris