[TxMt] Editing files via FTP

Jason Bainbridge jbainbridge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 21:34:40 UTC 2005

On 11/3/05, Charilaos Skiadas <cskiadas at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Trevor Turk wrote:
> I remember moving over to Mac not too long ago, and
> one of the first things I went looking for was a
> Windows Explorer clone. Not that I'm in love with
> Windows, but I find the Finder (hehe) very difficult
> to work with. Also, I remember trying to use it for
> FTP and was very disappointed in the whole read-only
> thing. Thankfully, Transmit is pretty sweet - and I'd
> already spent who knows how much on the computer, so...
>
> I'm seeing everyone talking about Transmit. Could someone tell me in what
> ways is it better than Cyberduck?

I've been trialling Transmit lately after using Cyberduck and I find
Transmit better for actual file transfers as it includes a local file
browser, even though Cyberduck doesn't as it isn't the Mac way of
doing things I still find it easier in Transmit.

However I don't really transfer that much and only usually use SFTP
for remote editing, Transmit is better for that as it doesn't have
problems refreshing to show new files and it doesn't throw an error
every time you try to reconnect after your Mac has been sleeping.

Also I prefer the directory navigation in Transmit, the tree view
stuff in Cyberduck gets to be a pain when working on a large site and
is a little finicky.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge