[TxMt] Clickable URLs in text files

Kai von Fintel fintel at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:51:18 UTC 2005

This is a lazy request.

Hoping towards moving more of my information into text files, I would
like a way of directly  launching resources from URLs in a text file.
Imagine that I copy a bit of email that includes a web URL or a mailto
link to an inbox.txt file. When I go through inbox.txt, I would like
to just hit a key combination when the cursor is on the URL and have
it send to my browser or my mail program.

emacs-wiki/planner does this well (it even highlights clickable URLs).
Outside TextMate, one can also use ICeCoffEE
(http://web.sabi.net/nriley/software/), but that doesn't work in
TextMate.

So, how hard would it be for someone to write a command thingy to make
such functionality available in TextMate? I suppose one would have to
identify the beginning and end of the URL that the cursor is on and
send it to the system's "open" command. I don't have the time to
investigate this myself.

-- Kai (http://semantics-online.org/geek)