[TxMt] best practice for changing markdown back as default for .txt?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Sat May 7 13:17:53 UTC 2005

On May 7, 2005, at 15:02, Tom Lazar wrote:

> I'd like some advice on how to best change the default language for
> .txt to markdown [...]

To associate .txt with Markdown, from Terminal.app do (while TM is not
running):
    defaults write com.macromates.textmate OakLanguageFileBindings
'({name = "Markdown"; fileTypes = (txt); language =
"0A1D9874-B448-11D9-BD50-000D93B6E43C";})'

If you want all new documents to open as Markdown, do:
    defaults write com.macromates.textmate OakDefaultLanguage
'0A1D9874-B448-11D9-BD50-000D93B6E43C'

If you later regret this, just do:
    defaults delete com.macromates.textmate OakDefaultLanguage

In these examples the long string is the UUID of the language.

Also, in the first example you can set firstLineMatch to a regex
instead of the fileTypes array (or you can set both).

> btw. b8 looks really good! methinks it should be announced on
> versiontracker and such places!

Thanks -- well, I do have ~3 items that I _really_ would like/need to
do before going back to official betas. But hopefully I'll have a
productive weekend! :)