[TxMt] document tabs

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Sat Mar 26 09:20:49 UTC 2005

On 25-03-2005 23:59, Bryan Wood wrote:
> It would be nice to be able to have multiple rows of document tabs
> instead of just one row and the arrows on the right you have to click on
> to get a menu list of the rest of your open documents.

Multiple rows of tabs is a *really bad* idea from a usability standpoint.
That is why they are nowhere to be found in OS X. And almost any other
program that I know of that uses tabs (Firefox, Safari, etc.), does not
support multiple rows.

The problem with multiple tab rows is that it is not immediately clear to
the user what would happen if he would click a tab from a row that is not
the lowest. Does it stay in that row? What happens to the other rows ?
And what if the row would move down? Then all of the lower row tabs must
move somewhere else and the user must make an effort to find them again.

So it might seem like a good idea when you request it, but it's really
not that useful to have...
A better way would be to have tabs that close themselves after you don't
use them for a loooooong time.

Jeroen.

--
               "We apologize for the inconvenience"
            (See "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy")