[TxMt] A Kill Line (C-k) and Yank (C-y) implementation

Chris Brierley thebrier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 19:56:38 UTC 2005

Attached is a bundle to implement kill (^k) and yank (^y) as close to
the Cocoa/Emacs implementation as I've been able to get. I hope others
can get some use out of it as well.

Using TextMate, I've had a terrible time trying to overcome years of
muscle memory in using ^k to kill and ^y to yank. The same
functionality is certainly available in TextMate, but I just can't
make my fingers not expect ^k and ^y to work a certain way. Allan has
mentioned that a Cocoa-like kill buffer is on his todo list, but I
thought I'd attempt something to tide myself over until that arrives.

Some high-level things you should know about the bundle:

* It does map ^k and ^y.

* Like Cocoa/Emacs it uses a kill buffer totally separate from the
standard Cocoa clipboard.

* I couldn't figure a good way to implement the kill buffer without
using the filesystem, so that's what it does.

* In order to get the behavior as close as possible to a real Cocoa
kill buffer, it's a great kluge of multiple commands and macros. That
fact plus the fact that it uses the file system makes it sort of slow
(I think certainly usable, though).

I hope folks find some use in it.