[TxMt] Bloating?

Ben Protas ben at benprotas.com
Thu Mar 24 18:43:00 UTC 2005

> I can regale you with numerous tales of otherwise intelligent people
> who refuse to do anything different, ever, because of some minor
> detail. (one man's useless bloat is another man's must-have feature)

Yikes!!!! Please, Allan, keep these people away from your excellent
editor!  I beg anyone who thinks any non-editor feature is a
"must-have" in a text editor to please use another text editor. there
are plenty out there with that philisophy.  TextMate is GREAT because
it does not cater to other editors workflows.  It does not try to be
other editors.  It tries to get the job done in the best and smartest
was possible.  I'm looking for an editor that includes features because
they belong, and includes extensibility so that I can create the
functionality I need, not because it's trying to cater to every man, or
become some "market leader" that doesn't turn anyone off.  The minute
that TextMate includes an editor because it's "another man's" must-have
feature, or because every other editor has it, it becomes
indistinguishable from...every other editor.

$.02

ben