[TxMt] (S)FTP & TM Extensibility

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 23:06:07 UTC 2005

Sorry, I got really irritated with all this replies to replies to
replies to replies stuff, so I started a new clean thread. Please use
new messages for **new** posts rather replies to existing ones. Thank
you!  I guess Sune is on holiday, too busy or at the wig maker after
having torn out all of his hair in despair over this issue in the past
week ;-)  (Luckily I'm already bald )

A couple of thoughts and issues on my mind:

1.	I'm just wondering, since sftp is installed by default in OS X,
could it not be possible to create a bundle version of sftp sort of in
the same way as Chris & Torsten created their superb Subversion bundle
???

Of course this would probably not be as GUI-nice as a real hard coded
FTP solution within TM, but in combination with easy support for/from
other FTP apps like Transmit, that should take care of most
requirements of the "large minority".  As and when the drawer is
reworked, perhaps we could have some hooks into it for displaying the
results of Commands etc, sort of like we can output content into the
HTML window. Bit more complicated, I know, but along the same kind of
lines (if possible).

2.	I really like the Firefox Extensions system as well as the OS X
InputManagers/PrefsPanes/Contextual Menu Items bits, as they provide a
nice extensibility to the app/system. I'd rather have something like
this type of functionality in TM than FTP support built-in, as that
could be easily added then by others rather than Allan.

3.	Kumar McMillan has done some great work on the Function pop-up
bundle.  If we could have that result displayed in a pop-up menu inside
the TM main window, rather than in a separate window, it would be even
better. I know, it requires Allan to make it possible.

The single combining thought behind all of this is that I would like to
see a whole variety of widgets and parts of the GUI opened up for
access from Commands/plug-ins etc. inside TM. Then we could create our
own solutions to fit our own unique requirements, as well as cater for
the general needs at the same time.

Allan's comments in his various replies around these subjects is as
usual pretty much spot-on, and he sure does know how to get my
anticipation buzzing with his various ideas and plans. ;-)

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -