[TxMt] Addendum (Was: Problems with b5 and services menu / BOM ...)

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Mar 11 00:36:13 UTC 2005

On Mar 11, 2005, at 1:18, Christian Bogen wrote:

> I got curious and poked around a bit: It seems that in UTF-8 files the
> BOM can be harmfull (in a way) after all: [...]
>
> So I guess not setting it should remain the default, whether it's
> setting is available as an option or not.

Yes, the BOM in UTF-8 is redundant, can be harmful, and UTF-8 files can
be recognized with 99.9% certainty w/o the signature.  For UTF-16 OTOH
it makes a lot of sense, and really should always be there -- and TM
will indeed also put it there :)

> Of course allowing for manipulation of the BOM would also make it
> easier to remove it if necessary

I added the preservation of BOM in UTF-8 files recently because of a
request, but as expressed earlier, I really think TM should always just
strip it from UTF-8 files (and I may revert to that if I'm not given
persuasive evidence that current behavior is good).

Actually, I would like to remove all the options during save and always
save as UTF-8 + LF endings, but that probably wouldn't go down so well
;)

[ TextMate service ]
> [...] It's greyed out when I select text existing mails in Mail.app,
> seems to work only when composing new ones (ie. in the mail editor).
> Is that a bug or a feature?

The service offers to edit and return text, so it will not work for
non-editable (but selected) text. Unfortunately as the system is
currently made, I'd need to make a new service (i.e. entry in the
services menu) if I were to also offer a 'new document with selected
text' service.