[TxMt] Background/foreground colors

Raymond Brigleb ray at needmoredesigns.com
Fri Mar 4 21:51:39 UTC 2005

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback! And that certainly is
something that makes TextMate special. Maybe I came off as a
complainer... sorry, I was more saying that there's a million great
tips and info out there, but lamenting that you have to look in five
places to find them all!

I agree with the direction this topic is heading though, in that I feel
efforts should maybe be more focused on the Wiki, and that needs to
start with a structure more like a user manual / documentation. I don't
know if I'm the person to do it because I'm a complete novice, but I'd
surely like to help.

I think the changes could start small, maybe a sub-page on the Wiki
where the structure begins, then information is filled in. If one
person was on top of the structure, checked on it daily, then maybe the
rest of the community could aim at putting their tips and tricks and
whatnot in there as they arise. Wikis are ideal for that.

With respect to the actual user manual, I just mainly feel that it's
missing a beginner's guide / tutorial / philosophy / feature overview
kinda thing. With something as unique as TextMate, I feel like one
needs to hit the ground with some idea of the philosophy behind the
text editor. I'm only slowly grasping the unique tricks and workflow of
the software. For example, today I just stumbled across the "column
editing" feature by trial-and-error. I probably wouldn't have realized
what it was if I hadn't just browsed the feature list.

But I digress. It's a great piece of software, a great community, and
I'm grateful to have purchased a copy all my own. Do forgive; my
comments stem only from a desire to help a great program get better. By
the way, nice to meet you all!!!

Regards,
Raymond