[TxMt] Bug: Inability to group files

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Mar 3 19:21:07 UTC 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 16:14, Saul Rosenbaum wrote:

> I've run into a rather annoying bug, seem that if I create a project
> by dragging a folder of files onto TextMate, I can't group files, has
> anyone else had problem with this?

This is not a bug but a limitation. Since a folder reference is a
mirror of the file system, TextMate doesn't allow you to make changes
in the way the folder is presented (apart from the file/folder
patterns).

I do know that some expect to do logical groups in a folder reference,
and it's something I'll look into when I redo the project drawer, but
there is a technical limitation, namely that contents in the folder can
be changed outside TextMate, and TextMate may not be able to track in
which way it was changed (e.g. files added/removed/renamed/moved to
other folders etc.), so I don't want to store too much meta-data
augmenting the information in the file system. If people want 100%
freedom, they should add files individually instead of as folder
references, and if they want filtered views, they should use the
file/folder patterns to setup filtering.

The latter is probably what I'll extend/make easier in the future.