[TxMt] install permissions

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Tue Mar 1 10:56:45 UTC 2005

On 1. mar 2005, at 11:17, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to Lang Riley:
>> Is it typical for a TM install to have 'admin' as the group, given a
>> default umask? Just curious.
>
> Look at the parent directory's group ownership.  BSD semantics dictates
> that new files inherits the directory's group ownership.  Most SYSV
> systems
> (as most Linux install are) emulates this through the use of group
> setuid
> bits (chmod g+s .$dir) on directory.

Apple changed their permissions around several times. I haven't clean
sweeped for some time so I have a lovely mix of staff and admin and
other stuff (group) owning my files here and there. At any rate,
TextMate doesn't install - you copy it yourself, so it has nothing to
do with its own permisions. Also, umask only affects protection bits
and not ownership AFAIK.

--
Sune    ::    http://cyanite.org/
     "And now there is merely silence, silence,