[TxMt] elusive key bindings & UI confusion

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at math.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 14 03:22:57 UTC 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 9:40 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's the actual UI of the bundle editor you find
> complicated, or the amount of (default) stuff in the bundle editor? As
> for the latter, Mats suggested that TM should ship with only a couple
> of languages enabled by default, and then let the View -> Language
> have a “More languages…” option that'd take the user directly to the
> filtering prefernce.

Maybe slightly related to this, as we are on the topic of UI confusion:
In the Language Editor, the button titled "Change filtering...". I have
to admit, I personally did not at first understand what it was doing,
i.e. that it would change what bundles are viewed. I thought it would
mean that maybe it would filter what individual items in each language
would show up. In other words, I feel it is not clear at first glance
that the languages are in any way "filtered", rather, I am seeing a
list of languages and expect that that's it, unless there is a button
to tell me otherwise, and that mysterious button called "Change
filtering..." somehow doesn't sound like the right thing. Of course it
is obvious the moment you press the button, but it is sometimes hard to
get to that stage, and it seems some other people have had the same
problem as well. I feel something like "Customize Language List" or
some such might be a more appropriate choice of name.

Then again, maybe I'm the only one with this problem. :-)
Haris