[TxMt] Padding for smart typing

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at math.uchicago.edu
Sun Jun 5 19:41:52 UTC 2005

On Jun 5, 2005, at 12:39 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2005, at 19:29, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>>> Not really sure what you have in mind here. You want the first space
>>> after the opening character to insert another space (before the
>>> closing character)?
>> [...] So I type '\', and then '{', and now it looks like '\{}' , and
>> I need to remember to add the other backslash in, otherwise most of
>> hell breaks loose. So it would be nice if TM recognized the pair '\{'
>> '\}' as a smart typing pair, also for deletion purposes.
>
> I'm probably not going to touch the smart typing behavior, but I'll
> introduce the input patterns to better control what TM should do when
> given sequences are entered.

That would indeed be great.

> I haven't figured out how to let snippets simulate smart-typing 100%,
> but I'm more likely to expand these to be able to do that, than to try
> and make smart-typing do all the different things people request.

Fair enough. It works very well as it is.

>> On a similar note, maybe this is an RTFM, but suppose one wants to
>> insert only one parenthesis (for instance when typing the open-closed
>> interval of the real number line, '(0,1]'. Is there a key, like esc
>> or something, that would momentarily exit smart-typing status?
>
> Nope -- I doubt that pressing a key before e.g. ( is easier than
> pressing delete after the (. If you're having this problem with ranges
> only, you could make a snippet or similar for a range, and tie it to a
> key.

Yeah, that's really the only place where this arises. Actually my main
problem is that somehow I am totally not accustomed to doing a
forward-delete, and until I grow out of it I have to take two steps for
it, but soon I'll grow up I hope :-).
A snippet can work just fine for these kinds of things, or a LaTeX new
command in my case would do the job even better.

When you introduce input patterns, I am guessing the way it is going to
work is that you would type something like 'TM' and it would be
expanded to 'TextMate'? In that case, if it is not too hard, it would
be nice to have a generic 'do not do completions or smart-typing for a
while' type command. But of course, you probably have bigger fish to
fry.

Haris