[TxMt] Padding for smart typing

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at math.uchicago.edu
Sun Jun 5 17:29:56 UTC 2005

On Jun 5, 2005, at 3:59 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2005, at 2:57, Will Prater wrote:
>
>> Is there a way for a user to allow the smart typing to replace with
>> padding vs. no padding.
>
> Not really sure what you have in mind here. You want the first space
> after the opening character to insert another space (before the
> closing character)?

chiming in here, because if this is what Will wants, (and even if
that's now what he wants, I like the idea), then it sounds exactly like
something else that I wanted, namely smart-typing pairs of groups of
characters. For instance in LaTeX, when I want to insert matching
literal braces, I need to have \{ and \} created. So I type '\', and
then '{', and now it looks like '\{}' , and I need to remember to add
the other backslash in, otherwise most of hell breaks loose. So it
would be nice if TM recognized the pair '\{' '\}' as a smart typing
pair, also for deletion purposes.

On a similar note, maybe this is an RTFM, but suppose one wants to
insert only one parenthesis (for instance when typing the open-closed
interval of the real number line, '(0,1]'. Is there a key, like esc or
something, that would momentarily exit smart-typing status? It's
probably not a problem most people have, and it is minor in my case
too, but it's related to smart-typing, so I thought I would mention it.

Haris