[TxMt] Re: Better Python bundle?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Thu Jan 27 22:46:59 UTC 2005

In article <e03c91ced1e5a42f90752966671be1c9 at cyanite.org>,
 Sune Foldager <cryo at cyanite.org> wrote:

> On 27. jan 2005, at 0:54, Russell E. Owen wrote:
>
> > Anyone got a bundle for python that works better? The built in one uses
> > bizarre colors
>
> Perhabs the person who made it will think your preferences are bizarre,
> so that's hardly a question of "better" :-p.

I respectfully disagree.

Of the many text editors I've tried (including Qued/M, BBEdit,
CodeWarrior IDE, Pepper, Alpha, Python IDE, IDLE, XCode, JEdit, NEedit
and SubEthaEdit), only TextMate has ever used a black background by
default. Even TextMate uses a light color by default, but uses black for
python and perhaps some other languages.

Even the python bundle for TextMate has this comment:
    // Somebody has a Halloween fetish.

And it isn't just the background. Once that's like, some of the other
colors also need tweaking (because they were designed -- if you can call
it that -- to be read against black). Once I realized that, I posted
this question.

Being able to customize things like this is a nice feature. But not
having "normal" behavior by default is likely to be a turnoff for
potential buyers.

> > (and, less importantly, the nifty automatic quote closing doesn't
> > handle """ and
> > ''' quoted strings).

If I type " to start a string, the program immediately adds a trailing
quote, i.e. displays "I", where I is the insertion cursor. This is neat,
but it gets a bit strange if one is starting a triple-quoted string.
It'd be cool if this smarts could be made smart enough to handle that
case well -- and that's what I was asking. Learning to live with it or
learning how to disable it are both perfectly reasonable alternatives.

-- Russell