[TxMt] File navigation feature requests

Ben Parzybok info at ideacog.net
Sun Jan 23 04:03:02 UTC 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Edmundo Ortega wrote:
> The idea above would allow you to have a set of open tabbed files that
> comprise your working set. Files that are not specifically opened as a
> tab will only appear while you are looking at them. When they are
> being viewed, all the tabs will be in the off state. When you click a
> tab again, the temporary file will disappear. To look at it again you
> must choose it from the project drawer.

As this seems to be a topic, here's another possible idea:

What about having Red Dot/Yellow Dot-like buttons stationed in the
right hand corner of a project.

I'm also not in favor of things happening automatically. Certainly I
build up an excess of used tabs, but sometimes I'm aware of it and want
them there. I don't want to have to go looking for them again if they
automatically close. It's not a big deal, it's just seems like it would
be an unpredictable interface.

Clicking on
The Yellow Dot minimizes (closes) all 'idle tabs', which would be all
tabs that have not had front time (or edit time!)
	for X period of time.
The Red Dot closes all tabs -- perhaps having a yellow dot would
alleviate the need for this, but I often find I close all tabs just so
I can start from scratch.

I suspect idleness is going to be difficult to define. I often briefly
skim through tabs, which would reset idleness if idleness is not based
on changes, but simply viewing. Alternately, there are often files I
want open that I don't ever edit -- documentation, etc.

Offtopic, but I'd love a preference to set which side the project
drawer opens, or just under the actions button in the project drawer.
Or just permanently set it to the left. That is a weird Mac OS X
interface quirk.

Also, weren't there some wild rumors about a new beta (3) being
released 'tomorrow' about three days ago? ;-)

-Ben