[TxMt] invisibles bundle update; stupefy quotes/hyphens and zap non-ASCII added

Eric Hsu erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
Thu Jan 20 22:15:27 UTC 2005

At 9:50 PM +0100 1/20/05, Sune Foldager wrote:

>>>Or type "man ascii" into Terminal.app (without the quotes, of course).
>>Wow, I didn't know that was there!  However,
>>the man page is American-centric and stops at
>>x7F. The accented letters live in the lower
>>part of x80-xFF.
>
>Yes, but ASCII is a 7-bit code, hence only
>contains characters 0x00-0x7F. Common 8-bit
>codes are ISO-8859-1 and Mac Roman etc. ... so I
>guess it's just a matter of terms, sorry for me
>being pedantic here

You are completely correct.  If one can't be
pedantic in computer science, where can one? :)

The original sentence meant to convey the idea
that some people don't like having accented
characters treated as gremlins. In order to avoid
that, they can look at the 8-bit extensions to
ASCII and take their favorite characters and
adapt Zap non-ASCII preserve them.

For this purpose "man ascii" isn't helpful, and
they'll need either to roll their own chart for
their favorite encoding or google one.

best, Eric
--
Eric Hsu, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
San Francisco State University
erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
http://math.sfsu.edu/hsu