[TxMt] A few things that annoy me

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Jan 19 21:29:29 UTC 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 18:35, Ivar Åsell wrote:

> 1.
> I want "File-->Save" to be disabled when a file just has been opened
> or saved. [...]

There are situations where at least I want to save a non-modified file,
for example to give it a new date stamp to trigger recompile of that
file.

> 2.
> I don't want to save a file just to try out a different encoding. Many
> times per day I open files where my special swedish letters åäö is
> messed up because applications like SSE doesn't save the file properly
> for TM to understand which encoding it uses so it gets wrong all the
> time.
> I'd really really like to see "reinterpret this file with encoding: "

If I understand you correctly, that's what the “Re-open with Encoding”
sub menu does.

> 3.
> A Document saved by SSE as ISO-Latin1 and open by TM is recognized as
> that encoding. But saving the file with TM now magically changes the
> file to UTF-8.

This appears to be a bug. If you go to Preferences / Advanced and set
the encoding to ISO-8859-1 there (under Saving) it will use that
instead when possible -- I'll look into it probably tomorrow.

And btw, please read http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980906.html about
writing proper subjects!