[TxMt] feature request: autosave

Ralph Pöllath lists at poellath.org
Sat Jan 15 13:46:34 UTC 2005

On 14.01.2005, at 17:02, Jon Raphaelson wrote:
>> But the *functionality* I'd like is an action so each time I save a
>> file the previous version gets put in a designated backup folder with
>> a datestamp, e.g. "index.php.20050114_2015" or the like. Really
>> whatever's easiest!

I guess you could use stakeout
(<http://michael-mccracken.net/blog/blosxom.pl/computers/mac/
programming/meetWatch.html>) to do this. Whip up a TM bundle that
includes stakeout (if licensing permits this, of course) and a TM
command that triggers it, like "start/stop backups on save".

> It seems to me, that this isn't really autosave, it's more of an
> automated versioning. I know it seems like sort of a semantic argument,
> but an actual autosave feature, where you can set it to save to a temp
> file every 5 minutes or something, would be really really nice. I know
> it has saved my butt in programs like Word a couple of times (granted
> it was because the PC I was on crashed before I had saved; who worries
> about that with TM? ;) and I personally would love to have that
> feature.
>
> PS. And I don't think this is really something controllable with a
> command, since it needs to be invoked without you. Actually, that would
> be really cool too - have a way to invoke commands on time intervals -
> so say, update cvs every 10 minutes, or save every 5 minutes, or
> whatever you wish, whenever you wish. Just a thought. Something like
> this would remove the necessity of autosave, and give a whole bunch of
> other functionality at the same time.

Along the same lines, a TM command could create a cron job that makes
periodic backups of your file.

For both scenarios, I'd personally prefer to have this done outside TM,
and have it work on directories instead of individual files, with all
editors and file types.

Cheers,
-Ralph.