[TxMt] Feature request: "see" like SubEthaEdit

Noah M. Daniels ndaniels at mac.com
Fri Jan 14 16:45:43 UTC 2005

I'd disagree. The really nice thing with the bbedit command-line tool
is the various options it can take:

bbedit [ -bchlpsuvVw --clean --resume --view-top ]
          [ -e <encoding_name> ] [ -t <string> ]
          [ +<n> ] [ file (or) <S/FTP URL> ... ]

you can pass bbedit an ftp/sftp url to open. You can also pipe to it,
which can't be done with the alias you mention. Also, there are nifty
options like specifying what line number to jump to from the command
line (which could be very useful for integrating the editor with a
debugger like gdb). You can specify a title for a piped input, print a
file from bbedit, and there is the 'wait' option, which causes the
bbedit command-line program to wait to exit until the file is closed.
This is necessary if you want to define bbedit as your EDITOR
environment variable and have it work for pine, crontab, etc.

Some of those features would be very nice to have, and can't be easily
accomplished with a shell alias.