[TxMt] feature request: autosave

Jon Raphaelson jonraphaelson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 16:02:37 UTC 2005

> But the *functionality* I'd like is an action so each time I save a
> file the previous version gets put in a designated backup folder with
> a datestamp, e.g. "index.php.20050114_2015" or the like. Really
> whatever's easiest!

It seems to me, that this isn't really autosave, it's more of an
automated versioning. I know it seems like sort of a semantic argument,
but an actual autosave feature, where you can set it to save to a temp
file every 5 minutes or something, would be really really nice. I know
it has saved my butt in programs like Word a couple of times (granted
it was because the PC I was on crashed before I had saved; who worries
about that with TM? ;) and I personally would love to have that
feature.

PS. And I don't think this is really something controllable with a
command, since it needs to be invoked without you. Actually, that would
be really cool too - have a way to invoke commands on time intervals -
so say, update cvs every 10 minutes, or save every 5 minutes, or
whatever you wish, whenever you wish. Just a thought. Something like
this would remove the necessity of autosave, and give a whole bunch of
other functionality at the same time.

- Jon

Jonathan Raphaelson
University of Colorado at Boulder