[TxMt] Changing Tab-Behavior

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Jan 11 02:45:35 UTC 2005

On Jan 11, 2005, at 3:28, Andreas Bueler wrote:

> [...] I find it strange that single line intending to the right works
> correctly (using tabs), but if you try to tab back to the left site,
> it is using spaces instead of tabs.

I don't understand this. Are you using 'shift left' (from the Text
menu) w/o a selection to indent a line (i.e. add leading tabs) and it
then inserts a tab character. But when you afterwards use 'shift right'
it only removes a single space from the line and not a tab character?

> It would also be great to change the behavior of multi line tabbing.
> I'm so used to use the tab key to intend to the right and "apple key"
> together with the tab key to move lines to the left. But if I do that,
> the lines I would like to intend, are deleted.

You can use option-tab and option-shift-tab instead. The reason I
didn't put it on tab (as I know some editors do) is, that I often
replace the selection with a single tab character.

You can however change the default keys to have it on tab instead (if
you really want it) -- currently you'll need to manually create a key
bindings file (see Help / Key Bindings).