[TxMt] how do you close excess tabbed files?

Fred B. fredb7 at starflam.com
Mon Jan 3 17:46:35 UTC 2005

After some times using TM now, I realize I almost never use tabs.
When I work on a project I end up with so many tabs that it's much more
easy to select the files in the drawer, even if I have to expand
folders first.
So I don't really see how having to type to find a tab would make it
easier...

Maybe I'm missing something, but, what is the advantage of tabs over
project's drawer?
Who really use tabs over drawer for big projects and why?

I can see something like 50 files at the sale time in the drawer, while
I rarely see more than 10 tabs at once.

One thing that could be improved in the drawer, IMO (and makes it
definitely replace tabs for me):

Now when you navigate thru files in the drawer with up and down arrows,
you have to hit Return to open the file (even Enter don't work).
Wouldn't it be better if the files were opened as soon as they are
selected? I don't know what are the HIG guidelines on that, but when I
select mails with arrows in Mail.app the mails are opened directly.

Now you can have a file opened while the selected file in the drawer is
another one and the tab of the opened file is hidden, the only place
where you can see the name of the file you're working on is the title
bar. This is a bit confusing, IMHO.

I love tabs in a lot os apps, but I can't really see the point in TM.
Sorry if I miss something.

--
Fred