[TxMt] req: command output to contextual menu

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Sat Feb 19 13:46:22 UTC 2005

On Feb 19, 2005, at 14:28, Sune Foldager wrote:

>> One solution is to have the command output XML that TM would parse to
>> figure out what to do with the output, then I could also allow for
>> more than just menus, and some say that the X is for eXtensible ;)
>> but I also think that XML is a complex beast for something as simple
>> as putting up a menu.
> There are also things like YaML(?), which are—at least for the
> user—much easier to deal with that XML.

I'm not entirely sure I agree. I haven't used YAML for anything
serious, but since it basically has special constructs for every data
type, it requires one to refer quite a lot to the documentation.

And for the interoperability issue it would then probably make more
sense to go with the ASCII property list format which is already well
known by many TextMate users -- in fact I could allow the user to
select between this or the XML version, just like with the syntax
files.