[TxMt] Req: Compare docs-Diff

Fred B. fredb7 at starflam.com
Thu Feb 17 15:43:33 UTC 2005

After the small features request, here is a big one ;)
I'm sure we talked about it here, but I don't remember if this is
planned or not.

Actually, I use TextMate for everything text-related except one thing:
comparing two document(Diff).
Unfortunately I need this feature a lot. For me, this is "The Last Big
Thing" that TM misses.

The best solution I found so far is to have a command launching
TextWrangler to compare the active one and one I have to choose(w/Cocoa
Dialog).
1) The way to launch this is a bit clumsy. (Having to navigate thru an
"open" dialog)
2) Having TextWrangler opened just for that sucks a bit.
3) Having to edit the files in TW really sucks. I miss all the TM
goodness and It makes me feels I'm back in time. ;)
(And worst of all, I use TM shortcuts all the time and wonder why my
commands, snippets, etc. don't work 8-| )
4) This doesn't work with remote files, or I have to open them in TW.
Meaning changing the prefs of my SFTP client.

What I like in the "Compare two front documents" feature of TW:
-The full screen is shared by the two docs with the Differences window
under.
-You can navigate easily thru the diffs.
-Closing the Differences window brings the docs back where they were.
-It exists. ;)
You can even check differences of folders and batch files.

So, my question is:
Do you plan to implement this in TM, Allan?
If the answer is yes, any idea when we might expect this?

Meanwhile, does anybody have a better solution?

--
Thanks