[TxMt] Command Chooser?

Brad Miller bonelake at mac.com
Sun Feb 6 19:07:22 UTC 2005

Allan,

Here's a suggestion that came to me this morning. How about applying
the wonderful logic in the file chooser to commands and macros?  I was
thinking of it being very much like Quicksilver for TextMate commands.

I love it that the number of Bundles for TextMate is growing so
quickly!   What I don't like is that there is very little structure to
the allocation of keyboard shortcuts.  Its very quickly becoming
emacs-like in the number of option-command-control-foo key-combos one
must remember.  I know they are all there in the menu system, but I
prefer to not use the mouse very much when I'm writing and programming.

One thing I always like about emacs, was that I could type Meta-x and
type in the the beginning of a command, hit space for auto-complete,
maybe a couple more characters,  and I would have the command I was
looking for.  I used this technique for a whole host of commands that I
used fairly often, but not often enough to remember the keyboard
shortcut.  I think you could easily go one better by applying your
matching algorithm to macros and commands.  Another thing that I liked
was that emacs was self-teaching in that it would often tell me the
keystroke needed to activate the command I just typed, so that after
seeing it a bunch of times I would just start to remember.

Brad

Brad Miller, PhD
Assistant Professor
Luther College