[TxMt] Atomic Saving / Saving Question

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Tue Feb 1 10:57:33 UTC 2005

On 1. feb 2005, at 5:26, Paul Kline wrote:

> What is atomic saving?

Atomic saving makes sure that the old version of the file on disk is
replaced with the new one in on, atomic, operation. This is sometimes
needed when the files you are writing might at the same time be read by
other running programs. Technically it's writing the file with another
name, then renaming the new file into the old file (destroying the old
file in the process).

The disadvantage of atomic saves (for some), is that the file gets a
new inode-number each time which will break hard-links and might upset
aliases if they are not pointing correctly.

> How can I tell TextMate to save as soon as it loses focus?

I don't think you can do that, currently.

--
Sune.
:: the Cottage of Lost Play.