[TxMt] Latest TM version activation delays

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Tue Dec 20 20:13:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, at 1:10 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 20/12/2005, at 19:44, Gerd Knops wrote:
>
>> It *IS* a static project. About 100-200 files located on NFS. And
>> I am quite positive this is new behavior since the last release.
>>
>> Alan, are previous dailies still available?
>
> Yes, they're linked to from the app-cast feed: feed://
> appcast.textmate.org

OK, went back all the way to 680, they all show the problem. Guess
somehow networking performance here went to hell.

>> I can only see the last one. I gladly do back a version to verify
>> that this is newly introduced behavior [...]
>
> I really have no idea what should have changed in this department.
> You might help diagnose the problem by running Shark on TextMate
> while re-activating it.

Shark indicated almost all of the time was burned up in lstat and in
the underlying kernel routines. 'fs_usage -f filesys' confirmed that
on activation the TextMate process performs 3432(!!!) lstat calls.
For each file in my (static) project it does a lstat for every single
path component, eg for the file /a/b/c/d it performs lstat calls for /
a, /a/b, /a/b/c and /a/b/c/d. And the root of my project starts 6
levels deep in the file system...

Part of the slowdown appears to stem from the fact that my system
started heavy swapping, despite 1.5GB memory. Guess I'll have to
check in more detail what is going on.

Gerd